20 Jan Why Video is the Best Way to Tell Your Brand Story
The growing influence of social media over the last decade has led many companies to embrace video marketing as an integral ingredient in publicizing the products and services they offer. But not as many have taken advantage of the medium’s power in telling their brand story. Branding videos offer a valuable resource that can help your customers, employees, and business partners understand your mission and reinforce the reasons to choose you:
1. Brand videos highlight the values your brand embodies.
2. They build consumer confidence by chronicling your history and competence
3. They put a “human face” on your company, helping customers make an emotional connection with your organization.
Tell an authentic and creative story about your brand
Telling an effective brand story through video hinges on partnering with a video production company that truly understands your brand, its message, and most importantly the mission behind your brand. Only then will viewers want to connect emotionally with your company and the values it represents.
A full-service video production partner should understand the importance of creating these emotional links and take the time to discuss with you the objectives you want to accomplish with your brand video. A seasoned video production company should also help you identify your company’s story, your reason for being, which ideally forms the innate link that connects the audience to your brand.
As Simon Sinek explains in his book Start with Why, people are inspired by a sense of purpose (or “Why”), and this should come first when communicating, before “How” and “What”.
One of the best examples of a company that has successfully made an emotional connection to their products is Apple. There were several MP3 music players that came out in the early 2000s but Apple successfully created an emotional appeal for their player and millions of people bought them at a premium price.
After an initial creative kick off meeting with your video production company they should be able to help you devise a strategy that shapes your company’s image and introduces the people behind the technology and customer service that sets you apart from your competition. This is your opportunity to speak directly from the heart. You can show your clients how much you care about helping their business without overtly marketing to them, but instead working to build a relationship with them. Customers who trust and connect with your brand are many times more valuable than those who simply buy from you out of convenience or habit. A well-produced brand video from an experienced creative agency is one of the most effective ways to generate emotional connection with your customers, which ultimately builds brand loyalty.
Brand Video Advantages
A brand video combines authenticity with controlled content. Marketing videos are just more believable than traditional print, electronic, and broadcast advertising. There are several reasons for this:
- Match your message to your company’s brand personality and ethos – Your video production company should be able to strike the right tone for your marketing video based on your company’s personality. The tone of the brand video is expressed through a variety of elements including the proposed concept, the script, voiceover artists, the look and feel of the cinematography and graphical elements, music, etc. Ethos describes who you are and what you stand for. In the context of marketing, ethos is the connection between a brand and its audience. A company succeeds when the perception of what you believe in matches your behavior. This is what makes you authentic. The more authentic you appear, the more you are trusted.
- Rather than just tell, show – Because video is a visual medium it is uniquely well suited to show, that is, visually demonstrate rather than just tell. A good video production company should be able come up with clever visual metaphors, and/or design motion graphical sequences that creatively explain how your product works.
- Storytelling – A brand video gives you the chance to creatively tell a story that shows how your product or service solves a major challenge your customers are experiencing. And telling a good story is a lot more impactful and memorable than just listing reasons why your company solves that problem. For example in the case of Muchery’s Plaid Box web commercial we were able to show the magic behind the 15-minute meal by intercutting a couple cooking the meal in their home with footage of a professional chef cooking that same meal in a restaurant. Through music, beautiful food cinematography, lighting and editing we were able to capture the excitement of making that meal in a way that filmmaking is uniquely suited.