22 Nov What Makes a Good Social Video Strategy?
Video has rapidly evolved into an important marketing tool due to its ability to connect with viewers. In fact, according to a research report published by Aberdeen, marketers who are using video are seeing 49% faster growth in revenue (Hubspot). Thus, you will find that crafting an effective social video strategy is a necessary step towards maximizing your impact in today’s market.
So, how do you get started?
General rules of the road:
- Short is always sweeter
- Use the first 3-10 seconds to capture your audience’s attention
- Refresh your content regularly to maintain relevance
- Utilize your metrics to refine your content strategy based on what’s effective
It is important to recognize that users engage with each platform differently – a video created for Facebook may not have the same impact on Instagram or Twitter; therefore, you must optimize your video to fit the platform’s audience and increase shareability.
Check out our list of best practices according to each platform:
- Producing Effective Videos for YouTube
As a search engine, YouTube allows users to discover your content.
- Use captions/subtitles – these make it easier for search engines to understand your content.
- Make the first 3-10 seconds count. You’ll need to grab the audience’s attention if you want them to stay tuned.
- Use high-resolution 720p or 1080p HD.
- Carefully select your keywords in order to increase views and searchability
- Use strong video descriptions and tags in addition to metadata to help improve your SEO rankings
- Producing Effective Videos for Facebook
Facebook videos that are fun and highly shareable can increase brand awareness.
- Use “square” or 1:1 format. Data shows that 1:1 videos outperform 16:9 clips by 54 percent! (Adweek).
- Make the first 3 seconds count – they are crucial in grabbing your viewer’s attention.
- Add captions to your video! Autoplay causes videos to play without audio unless they are clicked on.
- Quality is important. Use high-resolution 720p or 1080p HD.
- Producing Effective Videos for Instagram
Instagram offers a more personal, aesthetically pleasing, and intimate experience.
- Use “square” or 1:1 format. Experiments have shown that square format makes it easier for audiences to engage with your content (Thisisreel).
- Think “no sound.” Instagram requires that you “tap video for sound,” which means that silence is automatic
- Aesthetics above all! Visual presentation and quality are highly important.
- Use relevant and purposeful hashtags. Hashtags are a great way to make your content discoverable
- Keep your captions short.
- Producing Effective Videos for Twitter
- Think “people.” Videos showing people at the beginning are more likely to be viewed.
- Videos that have a clear beginning, middle, and end can increase viewership.
- Aim to entertain! Entertaining videos are more likely to be shared on this platform.
While these tips are all very valuable, you should always remember that story is king! Once you understand your audience’s motivations, you will be able to create relevant content that will, in turn, increase your shareability.
Here are some of the top reasons why people share online content:
- To bring valuable and entertaining content to others.
- To define themselves to others.
- To grow and nourish relationships.
- To inform others about the causes or brands they care about.
When aiming for an emotive reaction, consider the following:
- People like positive stories.
- Placing your customer in the role of a hero will grant a better reaction from the audience.
- Some positive emotions that evoke sharing are awe, amusement, and inspiration.
Now that you’ve learned some basic tips to improve your social video strategy, it’s time for you to apply them to your next company/brand video!